Following the Penguin Update, the SEO game has changed.
A lot of sites have been hit and so many people in the SEO game have started to think that they will not be able to rank their sites anymore. However, this is not the case.
Every Google change affects many sites, but also places others to the top positions. The people who understand how the algorithm works will still be able to get a ton of traffic from Google.
In practice the Penguin Update can help you if you know how to use it. Yes, you heard me right!
The Penguin Update can help you, because many of your competitors may be hit, which will make your SEO easier.
In this article we are going to discuss how to build your links after this Update.
What actually is the Penguin Update?
Every new update is created to find more quality sites. What Google want is to show only the best sites in their top positions. They want to show sites which contain quality information for the people.
So, the first task on this update has been to find better sites and hit more low quality sites.
There are a lot of people who have been using spammer tactics to rank their sites. Some of these sites may be good, other not.
That’s why they have started to hit sites that have been using all kind of spammer tactics.If you use any kind of spammer ways to rank high, you can be hit by Google, no matter if it is your site quality or not.
The good news (for Google) is that they have hit a lot of low quality sites, but unfortunately, they have also hit good quality sites.
As the Penguin has been so aggressive, they have created a form where people that have been hit can complain, IF they think they haven’t deserved that.
So what are the most important things you have to do if you want to rank high, not only after this update, but after all other updates?
The answer: create quality content and don’t use any spammer tactics.
Now let’s talk about the links you can get.
First of all, let me answer one question that almost everyone in the SEO have started to ask.
Can low quality links hurt your ranking? Unfortunately, the answer is yes. The SEO game is not the same.
If you get poor links, you can be penalized. Several years ago, people built every kind of link to rank high, but these days are gone.
You have to be patient on what kind of links you get. Let’s discuss that in details.
Types of Penguin Safe Links
1 . Guest Blogging
This is one of the most powerful ways to get back links to your site. All you have to do is to contact blog owners and offer them quality content. Just create one quality article and put a link back to your site in it.
Google love these types of links. Many SEO specialists think that it will be untypical for Google to start penalizing guest posts in the future.
Actually no one can tell you how Google will change after time, but my opinion is that Google won’t start penalizing guest posts. If you have a link from quality blogs, you will be OK.
How to find blogs that accept guest posts?
There are a lot of guest blog directories, where you will find many bloggers to accept your quality content. One of the largest is MyBlogGuest.com .
You also can search for “your niche keywords “+ Guest Post in Google.
Guest blogging has become so popular recently : it is likely you will find a lot of opportunities in almost every niche.
Tips on how to get accepted
- High quality content.Write tips and if you can write guides, much better.
- Your article need to give value to the visitors.This is what bloggers want in order to accept you.
- Don’t write on any general topic.Write something specific in your niche. Show that you are an expert.
- Many bloggers have specific instructions on what they want. Follow them exactly.
Here you can find more tips on how to write a successful guest posts: Top Guest Post Writing Tips.
2 . Social Bookmarking Sites
I believe these kind of links will never be penalized, although they may look as spammer for Google. Anyone can go and get a lot of bookmarking links easily.
Some people say these sites are similar to blog directories. Actually that is not right.
At first sight, adding a blog to directories and bookmarking sites are similar, but they are actually different. The difference is, once your link is posted at any bookmarking site, people can vote for it.
Google will not only check your links, they will also check how many votes your links have. Google interpret these votes like “social signals”. More votes, means more people like your content, and so this is a “signal” to Google that your site is good.
It is not a secret, Google count how many times your site has been shared on Twitter, Google Plus and other similar sites, but they also count all votes that you receive from social bookmarking sites.No matter do follow or no follow, bookmarking links still work.
Don’t buy social votes.That won’t help you.Google have a specific algorithm to see if your votes are fake.If they see fake votes, they won’t count them.
Will it be natural to receive 1000 votes in one day and zero in the next month? Of course not.
In this case Google will understand that your votes are fake.
Tips to generate more votes naturally
- Of course the quality of your content is one of the most important thing. If your content is interesting and informative, you will get more votes.
- There is also one little trick you can use to get more votes – your title. Many people make one big mistake – they put their anchor text as a title. Everyone knows that the anchor text is an important factor in the algorithm, but in this way people will not click your link and won’t vote, even if your content is interesting. Give them interesting titles, they will click and vote.
Here you can read an example.
Let’s say you try to rank for “make money online“. Which will be your title?
- “Make money online” is poor : not many people will click that.There is so much information on that topic.Nothing interesting here and it looks like scam.
- “How to make money online” is better, but still not good. People will click it more than the first one, but it is not specific.
- “How to make money without investment” is much better. They key here is “without investment”. You know very well, there are a lot of paid systems for making money online, but if you teach people how to make money for free, this will work much better : you will get more clicks.
- “How to start making money from Twitter today for free” is good too. First you tell people they can start making money today, second you tell them how (via Twitter) and third you tell them it will be for free.
Try different titles at different social bookmarking sites and test them.
3 . Social Signals
Google count how many times your site has been shared to social sites like Twitter, Google Plus and other. In order to have more votes, you have to write quality content.In this way you will see better results. Of course you also need to add sharing buttons on your site.
Tip n.1 : upload a lot of great pictures to all of your pages. In this way people may start sharing your site to Pinterest : the fastest growing social site at the moment.
Tip n.2 : never buy fake votes. You risk your site being penalized.
4 . Document Sharing Sites
Submitting your eBook to a lot of document sharing sites has become a great way to get quality links from high PR easily and it seems to be Penguin safe.
Just create a little eBook with a link to your site in it and upload it to as many document sharing sites as possible.Search engines can read links in PDF files.
Many people report better results in their ranking after uploading only one eBook. Just search for “list of document sharing sites” at Google and you will find a lot of them.
5 . Blog Commenting
Blog commenting has been one of the best ways to get a lot of good links fast and easy. Now it seems Google have started to devaluate blog comments. Actually it still works, but not the way it worked.
So what works?
- Get blog comments only from relevant blog posts (no matter if Nofollow or Dofollow).
- Get blog comments from quality blogs. First of all check the PR of the blog domain, and second check the PR of the post, where you plan to comment.
What does not work?
- Avoid commenting irrelevant blogs.For example, if you have a site about “make money online”, don’t comment on game blogs.
- Avoid getting links from blogs that have more than 1,000 unrelated comments.There are a lot of blogs that don’t moderate their comments.That looks like an easy way for people to get links, but unfortunately Google may penalize you for that.
6 . Article Directories
There is a rumour that Google may penalize you for adding your link to article directories. Actually if you don’t overdo it, you are still OK.
There are a lot of sites on Google that have a lot of links from article directories. I wouldn’t suggest you to use articles as your main strategy, but you can do it.
- Avoid adding one duplicate article to a lot of directories.You need one original article per one directory.
- Avoid spun articles.Google have advanced algorithm to check for spun content.
- Avoid writing low quality articles.If your article is good enough, it will be commented on many times and it will be shared multiple times at different social sites, and Google will see this as a good thing. You will receive more power to your link.
- Write articles no less than 400-600 words. If you can include more words is better. The best numbers are between 700-1000 words. One quality 700-words article is much better then 3 low quality article with 300 words.
Now you know some of the most important things that Google have changed.
I would suggest that you refer back to this article again. If you use all of my tips, your SEO game will become easier because you will know what Google want from you and also because most of your competitors, who do not use Penguin safe tactics will be hit soon. Believe me!